Ensuring Business Continuity Through Progressive Management StylesJul 08, 2020
Today, managers are facing an exceptional business situation. COVID-19 is a slow-moving phenomenon that has affected every aspect of business, and there is no manual to manage it. It tests the management skills of leaders in every country, and in every industry.
But even though travel restrictions, social distancing measures and remote working are causing many challenges, it also offers leaders an opportunity to transform their organization through progressive leadership strategies. Two essential aspects should be managed: flexibility and communication.
Trust and empowerment, rather than control.
The situation calls for managers to abandon old management models, and revolutionize their practices. Willingly or not, they are now forced to lead through trust and empowerment, rather than control. Managers must trust their team and partners and control the outcome of their work, rather than the process. Employees who are committed, will spontaneously show more solidarity and dynamism and will tend to propose actions and ideas, to add value and improve the company’s performance.
Digital transformation initiatives.
Many companies have already realized that technology can help to adapt to the current situation and prepare for the future. Remote teams still need to stay connected, communicate and align on strategies. This is why most managers have started investing in technology, having experienced first-hand that the return on investment is substantial in this day and age.
Obviously, digitisation initiatives will differ from one industry to another. But there is one common area for most sectors of activity: The Supply Chain. Digitizing the supply chain will result in more:
- Transparency and flexibility: By keeping visibility on all supply chain activities, managers can make more informed decisions and avoid (or at least mitigate) supply chain disruptions in the future.
- Real-time data: Extremely valuable when your supply chain is located on the other side of the world.
- Automation: Digitization allows for more flexibility and increased productivity, through streamlined, structured processes.
- Security: Whether it is the security of employees or corporate data, a secure digital tool will lead to peace of mind for every manager facing the challenges of today.
- Accountability: With transparency comes accountability for all the connected parties.